torsdag 3. april 2014

The Notebook - based on a true story

This week I’ll write a little review of the screen version of the novel The Notebook. The Notebook is a very sad and emotional film about the perfect example of true love, in my opinion. I know that this may sound very strange, but I have actually never seen the film... Some of you may think that I am in no position to write about a film I have never seen, but I have friends who have seen it and told me about the plot. Besides, it isn’t exactly difficult to find information about it.

I think that this may be a typical film for girls, since it is about love and romance. I know many people don’t prefer films like this, but I really like it when it is romantic and emotional, even though I tend to cry my eyes out during the saddest parts.

The Notebook is an American film directed by Nick Cassavetes. It was available in the cinemas in 2004. The film is based on a novel (published in 1997) by the same name that was written by Nicholas Sparks. The main actors and actresses were Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, James Garner and Gena Rowlands.

In Sparks’ own website he talks about how he got the inspiration to write the novel. The book is actually based on the story of his wife’s grand-parents who stayed happily married for more than 60 years. After Sparks and his wife got married, her grand-parents started talking about the story of how they met each other and how they stayed together for such a long time. According to Sparks himself, this was the moment when he realised that true love exists. Therefore, he decided to write a novel based on the story of this couple, who stayed together for more than 60 years.

The film version of The Notebook is quite similar to the story in the novel. The plot is separated into two parallel actions. The film begins in a nursing home for elderly people, where an old man starts reading a story to a female patient. The story begins in 1940. Noah Calhoun is a Southern boy from Seabrook, Texas and he meets the love of his life: 17-year-old Allie Nelson. They both fall in love with each other and they spend the whole summer together. However, Allie’s parents don’t approve Noah, so they force her to end the relationship. After that, Allie and her parents leave Seabrook and the two lovers are forced to move on with their lives.


Many years later – after the 2nd World War - Allie and Noah meet each other again. They spend the night together with their love rekindled, despite the fact that Allie is engaged to another man – a young, handsome lawyer named Lon Hammond. Allie was supposed to marry Lon, but after meeting her first true love, she stands in front of a love triangle. Is it going to be Noah or Lon?

I think The Notebook sounds like a fantastic film. Some of my friends have seen it before and they have told me that it is a very good film. Besides, after reading the plot I think I might have to see it. I feel a little bit stupid because I know it is the type of film that most people have seen, but it is better late than never, right?












Sources:

Pictures:

- Rakel Hansen

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar